The Office of Planning and Budget (OPB) was established in December 2012 to consolidate the management of financial, capital asset, and institutional planning resources. OPB provides decision support to executive leadership regarding the strategic allocation and use of campus resources in the following ways:
- Implements the academic program into the design of UC Merced academic facilities including laboratories and other specialized space;
- Provides leadership and direction for the development of campus operating and capital budgets;
- Develops financial models and analytical studies that provide information necessary for campus planning;
- Directs capital development and evaluates innovative financing strategies for this program;
- Develops and evaluates financing strategies for the capital development program;
- Supports the creation of sound business plans for auxiliary enterprises;
- Develops and implements campus budget policy and budgetary performance measures;
- Manages real estate transactions; and
- Plans and guides the physical development of a high quality campus environment
The Office of Planning and Budget is organized as follows:
Academic Facilities Planning: collaborates with the campus academic community and translates technical details for campus planners and designers.
Budget Office: manages the annual campus budget process and provides short-term and long-range planning for campus budgets.
Capital Finance and Space Management: coordinates strategic and long range planning efforts during the earliest phases of program and project development that form the campus Capital Financial Plan and its capital improvement program.
Institutional Planning and Analysis: provides ongoing support for campus planning and decision-making to help advance the educational mission and effectiveness of the institution.
Physical and Environmental Planning: prepares and implements land use plans for the physical framework of the campus and directs the environmental permitting activities including coordinating the CEQA review and compliance for all campus projects.